Psychological safety has been identified as the topmost feature of a successful and innovative organization. At the same time, we need to learn from failure and prevent recurrence of mistakes.
These two practices seem to contradict each other, but is there a way to achieve them both?
Introduction to Postmortem Culture
- Goal: System shouldn’t break in the same way again.
- Growth mindset.
- Learn from mistakes.
- Document everything for posterity!
What does a postmortem look like?
- Various sections.
- All sections for a reason.
- Best practices for each section.
- When does it make sense to write one?
Psychological safety & Blamelessness
- Postmortems, if not written well can be counterproductive to your culture.
- Why is blamelessness important? The most important?
- Leadership and promoting this culture.
- Celebrating failure!
- Going beyond technology.
Ok, I wrote one, what next?
- Going above and beyond just writing some documents.
- Making things run like a clockwork, while self sustaining!